The athletic trainer – certified (ATC) will function as an integral member of the orthopaedic health care team. The ATC will work with assigned provider(s) to support and enhance the patient’s orthopedic visit. The ATC will also assist with DME and Casting duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports assigned provider clinic by compiling patient data prior to encounter
- Completes the patient intake process by rooming the patient, takes vital signs (as trained), and assures patient completes medical questionnaire.
- Assess patients’ needs and status by analyzing data obtained as part of the patient intake process.
- Actively works to support the assigned providers clinic efficiency and workflow, completes assigned tasks to assure patients continued progression throughout the encounter
- Educates the patient on injury prevention, rehabilitation wellness, and other orthopedic related issues; Provides instruction and guidance to help prevent injuries and maximize physical conditioning and performance.
- Facilitates injury prevention and rehabilitation, as well as performance enhancement and durability
- Assists the patient in navigating orthopedic injuries by assuring prior education of injury, restrictions, and outlined recovery steps.
- Assists the patients with an understanding of proper fit and use of support devices
- Maintain the highest standards of care and integrity
- Ensure safe and effective operation of equipment used for patient care and contributes to a safe working environment
- Evaluating injuries and providing first aid
- Schedule surgery to include coordination with hospital, outside vendors, and physician schedule
- Provide verbal and written instruction to the patient in regards to surgery and additional appointments needed
- Make pre and post op appointments for patients to include H & P , post op appointments, medical, cardiac and dental clearances
- Set up home health and authorize with insurance company
- Acquire therapy appointments for patients to include authorization with insurance company
- Prepare surgical packets for the physician to include all pertinent paperwork and discharge instructions for patient
- Triage medical problems for patients and consult physician for resolution
- Call in prescriptions designated by the physician to pharmacy and authorize with insurance company as needed
- Update surgical referrals in a timely manner
- Follow-through with all referrals to include authorization and billing requirements
- Other duties as assigned
Work Experience Requirements:
- One or two years in athletic trainings setting preferred but no required
Education / Licensure / Registration Requirements:
- Graduated from an Athletic Training program CAATE – Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- National Athletic Trainer Association Certification - Entry level graduates with NATA certification will be considered
- Current Virginia State Licensure to practice as an Athletic Trainer is required
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
Physical Demand: Frequently standing, walking and sitting. Ability to pull, lift, carry and push greater than 50lbs repetitive. Frequent stooping, kneeling, balancing, climbing and balancing. 95% of work will be performed inside with noise and/or vibrations. No extreme heat, cold, wet or humid work environment. Repetitive physical and verbal interaction with patients.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.